20 April 2008

4 -NY Comic Con

NY Comic Con
Jacob Javits Center
20 April 2008


Today my alter ego, 100x6, attended the NY Comic Con with my partners in all things geek, Skogger and Johnny ThunderCock. S and I were blessed with a set of passes for today's events by Pete and Carlos of the MTV network thanks to our superb waitressing skills on Saturday night and because the guys' wives wouldn't let them go to the Con both days this weekend (sorry fellas). I arrived before the dynamic duo, S and JTC, could get there. By the time they showed, which was only an hour after I did, I had managed to buy my way through half of the convention center floor.

My first purchase was a fabulous cd by Bro Kin Haylow produced by Jacob "Zukhits" Buchanan, CEO of a group called Fat Boy Hits Music Group. Celsius, one of the four artists that make up Bro Kin Haylow, explained that the group was different because they create music that is a blend of hip hop, reggae, rock and pop without the use of derogatory language. He was playing some of the tracks off of their CD and the beat was enough to make my hand reach into my wallet and pull out a few bills to secure myself a copy.

Onward and upward! I visited Midtown Comics' booth and purchased the graphic novel 'Lucifer' vol. 1: 'Devil in the Gateway' by Vertigo. There are too many artists, writers, colorists and letterers to list them all, but the characters were all based on characters created by Neil Gaiman (swoon!).

Next stop...Baby Tattoo Books. I picked up a beautiful book titled, 'Visions From Within the Mechanism: The Industrial Surrealism of Jeffrey Scott(1019).' I don't have the words to describe his work. Some people don't have the stomach for it, but I think his art is incredible. Check him out here and decide for yourself.

Last stop in my homage to commerce was the artist's alley. There were so many prints I wanted to pick up, but I decided to shorten my arms and lengthen my pockets by settling on just one by Erik Jones. My print is of a tattoo-clad woman standing topless in front of a wall of old timey tattoo sketches. S also purchased a print of a very pouty blond holding an one-eyed teddy bear (she is pouty because she accidentally ripped one of the bear's eyes out before the drawing was made according to Mr. Jones). There were so many other artists there that JTC and I couldn't hold S back, and she ended up taking home three other prints. I would have loved to pick up something by Molly Crabapple or Susan Heidi, but alas, I am supposed to be on a budget.

We refused to leave on our quest for cheese fries and beer without witnessing a live lightsaber battle between the Jedi and the Sith though.


Mission accomplished!

I even met my upstairs neighbors at the show! What a coincidence, yeah? Those of you who have crashed at my place and heard the incessant clanking, banging, stomping and furniture moving at 3am already know my friends the storm troopers!


100 in 6 budget: still $36
100 in 6 incidentals budget: $63

PS - This little gem will absolutely be in my 100: Click me

No comments: