20 April 2008

3 - Earth Day


Today was the second day of the Earth Day Fair at Grand Central Station (thanks to Michelle and Shannon for the tip about this one). The fair is supposed to make NYers savvy about environmental issues and more informed of the carbon footprint that we are all leaving behind and how to minimize it (Find out about the size of your carbon footprint here). Not only did I enjoy the live music the Earth Day Fair organizers had arranged, I also got to pick up some leaflets about improving air quality, the innovative ways the MTA has pitched in, and where I can buy environmentally friendly soaps and shoes suitable for vegans. Strangely though, almost all of the booths were handing out flyers...printed on paper (albeit recycled paper)...lots and lots of paper...which comes from trees...which I thought we were trying to protect as a way to help the environment, no? Anyway, it was a beautiful day outside and listening to live music at a fair to promote a wonderful cause was the perfect way to spend it. I was able to catch five performances: Spiritchild, TKwonder, The Real Live Show, a woman named Eliza Havah (this is spelled as I heard it pronounced, but I can't find any information on her so my apologies if I am completely off), and Honey Larochelle.


Spiritchild's music can be described as rhythmic poetry. The artist is from the Bronx, is the founder of the Movement in Motion artist and activist collective, and usually performs with a band called Mental Notes. I already looked up Mental Notes, and they sound fantastic. Unfortunately, I was only able to catch the end of his performance, but what I did get to hear was awesome.

TKwonder Electric Baby's music is a mix of electronica and hip hop. She was part of a two person group today called GAEA. The DJ provided an excellent beat while TKwonder sang and rapped so quickly I was tongue-tied listening to her. I particularly enjoyed her song titled 'Racism', which featured clips of speeches given by Martin Luther King Jr.

The Real Live Show was the only name I recognized on the bill today. I am not a huge hip hop fan, but this group was exceptional. I have already looked up other places where I can see them perform and informed a couple of friends that they will inevitably be accompanying me.

Eliza Havah (sp?) performed only two pieces. Her songs were topical, poignant, and beautifully sung. I only wish I had more information though, so that I could look her up and find out more about her.

Honey Larochelle, who is singing at Blue Note as I type this, was a burst of color and energy. Her music is a smooth blend of jazz, soul and R&B. I thoroughly enjoyed her performance and, if I hadn't had to work tonight, would have probably went to see her perform at Blue Note.

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle!

No comments: