22 June 2008

39 - Pimps of Joytime and Bonerama

Pimps of Joytime and Bonerama
Sullivan Hall
21 June 2008

The Pimps of Joytime were the first act of the evening. They are funk, soul and turntable fun all rolled up into one hell of a party. Their sound is really groovy and you just can't help swaying along to their beat while you listen. M picked up a copy of their album "High Steppin" at the show, which he so kindly relinquished to me and I have listened to it a couple times through already. There are so many different influences that you can hear while scanning through their songs that their style is pretty hard to pin to just one or two genres. They really have an awesome sound and I would absolutely recommend giving them a listen.

The headliner for the evening was Bonerama. Aptly named, Bonerama features four slide trombone players as their frontline with an accompanying bass guitar, drum kit and sousaphone. This band is absolutely wonderful, fantastic, awesome. Bonerama is a New Orleans brass funk rock band as their website describes them, or as a Rolling Stone journalist wrote, Bonerama is "the ultimate in brass balls." They play original music as well as a handful of covers that you would be surprised can translate so well to trombone. I have already signed up for their mailing list and I will definitely be seeing them again.

I would love to write more because I truly enjoyed both bands that I saw last night, but thanks to M. Douglas I think I am still hungover and I can't think worth a damn today. Cheers.

No comments: