22 July 2008

55 - Quixtar Recruitment Presentation

Quixtar Recruitment Presentation
Holiday Inn, Westbury NY
21 July 2008, 2000

I would call this event a live infomercial, but that would be a vast understatement. I was invited to the presentation by my mom's aunt's son's wife's sister's daughter's husband, so loosely...my cousin, Jeff. I was expressing my interest in exploring other career paths recently, and Jeff happened to have an ace in his sleeve. After several relaxed yet interview-styled questions, he invited me along to the presentation out in Westbury. The evening started with me elbowing the best of the Long Island commuters for a place to stand on the crowded train towards Hicksville, NY. I must remark that you have never seen ruthlessness until you have tried to board a Long Island Rail Road train during peak hours. Holy Sh*t. The presentation was really two hours of motivational speaking. Our host related with his audience, he called people by name, he scribbled on a white-board to make his points, and he made every one of his points applicable to his target audience. His job was to pitch an opportunity to a room filled with would-be entrepreneurs, and he did it well. Although he didn't get into the minutiae of how we would get started as potential IBOs (that's business-speak for Independent Business Owners), he laid out the general way that the job functions.

Basically, it is a pyramid scheme. You have your web-based business and people shop through your site, which links them to thousands of other sites (Quixtar is a giant...more on that to follow). You make a profit on what people buy at these other sites. In time, you get people to start their own web-based businesses so that they can also get people to shop through their sites, which link to the same thousands of sites that yours does. Having them under you allows for more exposure and a larger profit because you make money on what people buy through the sites of the people under you. Make sense? In time, they do exactly what you did and have people under them. You end up making a profit on the whole shebang. Awesome, right?

As I mentioned, this is all set up through Quixtar, the North American branch of Amway International, which is a monster (you may have seen their advertisements recently because they are affiliated with the 2008 Beijing Olympics). Quixtar is an extremely broad-based, very well trusted and respected company. They have business relations with other giant corporations such as Barnes and Noble, Circuit City, Dell, FTD, etc. You get the idea. If anyone would be interested in such an opportunity, let me know...I know a guy who knows a guy.

The evening ended with me sprinting in heels to a train station through the twisted, winding back-roads of Carle Place, NY, while talking to Smother as she laughed at me for panicking and not being able to find the station. I hung up on her, but called her once I was on the train, which I found with five minutes to spare.

100 in 6 incidentals budget: $468

No comments: