13 September 2008

80 - NY Brewfest

NY Brewfest
Pier 17 - South Street Seaport
12 September 2008

This event was held last night outside at Pier 17...in the rain. Despite the weather though, Pier 17 at South Street Seaport was packed! I think it is safe to say that rain or shine people want BEER. For any beer aficionado, a beer festival is a must attend event. NY Brewfest was hosted by Heartland Brewery and featured dozens of breweries from the tri-state area and New England showing off their finest wares. Ever since I worked at John Harvard's Brew House in Mass a few years ago, I have loved and appreciated wonderfully crafted beers. They are delicious and meant to be savored. I am not talking about Budweiser, Corona or any other mass produced beers. I am talking about beers produced by microbreweries (a microbrewery is defined as a brewery that can only distribute a certain number of barrels of beer a year - approximately 15,000 barrels, I believe). These beers are delicately brewed, seasoned, and hopped to perfection...well, not all of them are perfect.

My favorite pours at the NY Brewfest were Otter Creek's Sphinx, a honey and chamomile infused beer, Southern Tier's Creme Brulee Stout, which was as delicious as it sounds with undertones of maple and chocolate, and Cape Ann's Pumpkin Stout, which screamed of Autumn. The Allagash Brewery representatives were definitely having the most fun as far as I could tell pouring beers while puffing on cigs and drinking more than they were actually serving.

On a side note, I am happy that I decided to post about this event today rather than last night. If I had, I am quite certain the post would have read like this, "Brewssh Feshtshshsh wuuuuz schloooper...hiccup". You know 'they' say you should never drink alone. I find that I have come to agree with the saying that "If you drink enough, you will never be alone." This was abundantly clear last night because after a few pours, I was surrounded by friends!



100 in 6 budget: $1044

No comments: