31 August 2008

72 - David W. Jacobsen

David W. Jacobsen
Gizzi's Coffee
29 August 2008, 2000

According to his website, David's art is self-described as including, "humorous stories and anecdotes as well as serious commentary and musings on social and psychological concerns. He performs live accompanying himself on acoustic guitar and entertaining his audiences with an amusing banter." As purported, I expected a hint of comedy and definitely some witty banter. I am going to be honest, I really didn't get either. To be fair though, his new album Footprints is described as a more cynical recourse then some of his earlier works. Again, according to his website, Footprints, "deals with obsession and mortality through both humorous and melancholy, acoustic songwriting. Some songs present funny and cynical looks at being rejected. Other songs are honest tales of unrequited love. Some songs are humorous existential rants. Others probe for a positive reason to get through the day." I definitely heard the melancholy and the cynical, but I didn't grasp the comedy. Then again, it certainly wouldn't be the first time that I just didn't 'get it'. As far as lyrics go, he is clearly a very intelligent and talented writer. Perhaps I just went to his show in search of a good chuckle, so I wasn't prepared to come away from the experience feeling badly that his last relationship ended on a sour note [insert frowning face emoticon here]. Keep going David! You can do it!

100 in 6 incidentals budget: $553

No comments: