18 May 2008

17 - New York City Tattoo Convention

New York City Tattoo Convention
Roseland Ballroom
16 May 2008

Friday night was part research and part entertainment. As most of you know, I have a handful of tattoos at this point, and I am itching to get more. All of them were done outside of the New York area though, so I don't know any reputable shops in town to visit to plan my next one. A tattoo convention brings together local artists as well as artists from across the country and abroad representing their respective places of employ. If you see an artist who you are particularly interested in but his/her shop is in Italy and you don't have a travel budget, fear not because all of the booths have mobile inking stations set-up and you can have some work done right on the spot. This is how I got my last bit of art...the mood struck me at the Boston Tattoo Convention and now I have a little bit of ink literally tailing me wherever I go.

So, much to the dismay of my Smother, I picked up cards from a half-dozen shops in the New York area to visit. At the moment, I think Red Rocket is at the top of my list because one the artists, Michael Bellamy I believe, has a picture of him tattooing his 88 year old grandmother at the shop, and I just think that is precious. Other artists and shops that piqued my interest were Gene Coffey with Tattoo Culture in Brooklyn, Erin Goodwin at Bruce Bart Tattooing in Woodstock, Lark Tattoo in Westbury, and Hold Fast in Brooklyn. Lots of choices clearly. Now I just need the design idea. Any suggestions?

100 in 6 budget: $186


No comments: